Saturday, August 29, 2015

Beginning the deck framing


Primarily due to budget restrictions at the moment, I decided to build the deck framing out of southern yellow pine. After digging through every board at Lowe's until I found one with relatively vertical grain (if it's a good 45° diagonal or better, I'll take it), I walked out with enough wood to build the deck framing for about $7. Not bad.

Besides, I've entrusted my chines and sheers to this strong, flexible, and affordable wood, so I have no problem at all using it for deck framing.

The first step was cutting the actual deck beam (the part that fits crosswise from sheer to sheer). The widest distance at the blocking for the deck frame measured 42 inches. So, I measured & marked the board, and cut it with my circular mitre saw set at 20° to match the curvature of the sheer. Then, I clamped the cut board to the back of the forward frame, and traced the curvature (crown) of its deck beam onto the pine.

I cut it, and fit it into place. The photos easily tell the rest...

Deck beam clamped into place against the blocking on the starboard side.

Once the deck beam is epoxied into position, I will add additional blocking on the forward side, like this.


Port side, with the deck beam and forward blocking clamped into place.


Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, by the way. I hope that you find it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment