Saturday, November 23, 2019

Fairing, Day 510: Port bottom slowly taking shape

The last 14 days have brought about quite a bit of work on the floor battens and the chine around Frame #4. 



To a lesser degree, I've also continued work on the keel. I'm working on the keel slowly and cautiously, because sometimes it's hard to tell just where the trouble spots are. You have to look at it in the context of everything around it.

So, let's get the levels and take a look:


With the 6' level aligned with the transom, the low spot appears to be in the middle. This could mean either the forward area of the keel is still too high, or the transom is too high... or both.


However, when we measure the forward section of the keel, the area from Frame 4 backward to an area just aft of Frame 2 seems... well... relatively flat.




This would lead me to think that the aft end of the keel toward the transom may be a little too high. 

However...

When we align the 4' level with the transom, the keel looks dead-on from the transom to Frame #2.





So, what can we make of all this?

Although I don't have a photo to show it, I measured the area between Frames 2 and 4 with the 4' level. I found a slight high area in the aft 3rd of this section. There also seems to be a slight misalignment with the angle of the bevel in that area of the keel.

I'll work on that area cautiously to get it flattened out, then measure everything again & see how it looks.

Not that I'm an "old salt" at this, by any means... I'll nonetheless repeat my advice on fairing:

"Go slowly, and measure often."

No comments:

Post a Comment