Sunday, December 25, 2016

Merry Christmas

Well, it's Christmastime again. Merry Christmas to you.

The Tedious Tale of Zip Frame #2 continues. However, I haven't made enough visible progress to be worthy of a "part two" installment yet.

I have sanded the ribs smooth from the rough-cut lumber. The work has all been hand-sanding, and of course I continue to collect as much of the mahogany wood dust as possible.

I have also trimmed the ends of the floor beam, and begun hand-sanding that as well. 

Aside from that, I have sanded the outer coat of encapsulating epoxy on Frame #5-1/2 in preparation for painting.

That's all I've got for now. So, I'll leave you with a status update on the current state of Zip parts. (The last such update being in July). And, since MY Zip is far from being completed, I'll leave you with a couple of photos of someone else's.


Current Status of Zip Parts
PartStatus
Stem & Breasthook Assembly2 coats of epoxy
Frame 5-1/2Forward face has 3 layers of epoxy. Rear face has 2 layers. Entire frame has been sanded in preparation for painting
Frame 4Keel notch widened. Floor beam and ribs currently dry-fit with 1/4" plywood gussets. Deck beam / dashboard currently in design phase.
Frame 2Ribs cut, notched and sanded. Floor beam cut. Deadrise angle on floor beam is too sharp, and needs to be fixed.
Transom KneeCoated with 3 layers of epoxy
TransomInitial assembly complete: Frame and motor board epoxied to 1/2" plywood backing. Notches with 10° bevel cut for sheer and chines. Notch with 12° bevel cut for keel.


This is the very first Glen-L Zip I ever rode in. It was a beautifully-constructed boat. The craftsmanship was superb, all the way down to the stitches in the upholstery aligning with the deck seams. It remains the only Zip I've seen first-hand (so far) with a carpeted floor. I well remember my first impressions of the ride: that the boat is smaller in-person than it seems from photos... yet the interior space is more spacious than one would think from such a small boat. Fond memories.

For now, we'll just say that the "MC" on the side of the hull stands for "Merry Christmas."




No comments:

Post a Comment