Monday, May 13, 2019

Quick progress on the port chine

To be clear, what we're talking about here is the first layer of the port chine. 

It will be laminated, just like the starboard chine and the keel. Same will go for the sheers. The progress is coming along nicely so far. It's almost ready to attach.



It was at one of the first Glen-L boatbuilder gatherings I attended that a Malahini builder said to me, "If I had it to do over again, I'd laminate everything."

After I fought with bending and twisting the chines on my first boat, I had a better understanding of why he'd said this to me. Honestly, it makes a lot of sense. Thinner wood is easier to bend. It's that simple. So what if it just costs you a little more time and epoxy to get it right, with far less aggravation?


The port chine has no less than 3 scarf joints in it. I've had no problems at all bending and twisting it into place. The joints fall in-between the frames aft of Frame #5-1/2.

I'm using these blocks to help me position the chine where I want it to go.



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete