Monday, March 10, 2014

Next stop: Transom.

The side planking is all on now. So, the next step is to cover the transom with Meranti so that it will match the deck.

First, I made a posterboard template of the transom. Then I positioned the template over an attractive grain pattern on the Meranti plywood. I traced the template, then drew a secondary line extended 3/4” outward from the tracing. I cut to this secondary line so that my transom cover would be oversized sufficiently for me to fit and position it as needed.

Posterboard template & oversized transom cover.
The next step will be to attach it.

To help with this, I have ordered a Raptor stapler and some 9/16” Raptor staples. The Raptor staples are plastic. So, you can simply sand off the extraneous end of the staple once the stapled piece of wood is bonded to the sub-layer. This should leave little or no evidence of fasteners, as would be the case with screw heads, etc.

That’s the idea, anyway. The stapler should be here early this week. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

 Side planking trimmed at the bow.

Side planking trimmed at the bow.
Fairing progress on the side planking.

No comments:

Post a Comment