Sunday, September 16, 2018

Fairing progress

Fairing progress on the Zip has been, well... "fairly" slow.

I made this little chart to help explain what I've been working on.


In a nutshell, I have mostly been working in "zone 1." The floor battens are basically fair with Frame #2 (located between the "1" and the "2" on the chart). This has created a low spot in the 3 floor battens on that side of the keel, as well as the keel itself.

The battens are basically even with the transom, but everything from the transom forward to Frame #2 needs to be lowered to meet Frame #2. I'm doing this mostly by hand sanding, now that the rough work has been done with the belt sander.


Transom, floor battens, and keel.
I have also been doing some rough work in the areas of zones 2, 5, and 6, as well as some preliminary fairing at the front of the keel at zones 3 and 4.




Initial tapering at the front of the keel.
Still a long, long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment