Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Epoxy. Think of it as the varnish before the varnish.

The rain stopped. The sun came out. 

I pulled back the cover on my little boat, and let it dry out in the fresh air for a couple of days. 

It needed to dry out, because the rain is coming back. Before that happens, a couple of sanded areas needed another layer of epoxy to water-seal the exposed wood. 

Today was a good day for that. It was a quick project, and a nice break from the tedious varnishing I've been doing otherwise — even though the two are related.

The epoxy goes on before the varnish.

This is how Perseverance's floor looked before I dried it out & let her sit for a couple of days.

2nd layer of epoxy on the sanded floor batten.

Here's the trolling motor bracket that I've been varnishing. It bolts onto a mating piece that is permanently attached to the inside of the transom. That piece needs varnish, too. But before that... epoxy.

And here is that mating piece. It got one layer of epoxy on it last year. Here it is, sanded and taped in preparation for the second coat.
Et voilà... here is said second coat.
So while I was at it, I decided to also do a little epoxy work on the Zip.


Here is the cherry instrument inlay for the dash board. One layer of epoxy on the front... sanded in preparation for a second coat.
And here's that second coat of epoxy. I think this piece will be really pretty once it's varnished. But, that'll be a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment