Sunday, February 24, 2019

Rain, Epoxy, Rain, Varnish, Rain... and more Rain.

In the last post, we left off with a quick epoxy job I did on the Utility, ahead of some impending rain.


My quick layer of epoxy.

And rain, it did. Non-stop. For days on end. So much rain that it has caused damaged roads, flooding, and even a mudslide that took out a local restaurant.

But today, the sun came out.

So, let's take a look at that epoxy job...


Here it is.

Sure, the boat got some water in it. But, given the amount of rain, it wasn't too bad. The area that had been sanded to bare wood was mostly out of the water, but just barely.

The drain tubes did their job, and I dried out what was left with a couple of towels. To the touch, the Silvertip epoxy appears to have cured fine. However, that was a VERY thin layer, and I'm not convinced that it kept the water out completely.

It's not supposed to rain again for a few more days, so I left the boat uncovered to air out & dry. Then, I'll put another coat of epoxy on before I start repainting this area. 

One thing I've noticed at the back of the boat...



The paint on those parts of the floor that have had standing water in it for long periods is starting to peel. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

And, progress continues on the battery tray and trolling motor bracket...

Sand. Varnish Repeat.


Sand...

Varnish...


No comments:

Post a Comment