Friday, March 15, 2019

New battery tray installed; Progress on Utility updates

It was a good afternoon to work on the boat. 

My kind of Friday. Left work a little early. No pressing commitments. Beautiful weather. 

The golden light of the late afternoon sun lit up the boat's varnished brightwork to a glowing orange. It was a really striking sight to see... as long as you didn't look too closely at my varnish job. The air was cool, and I was comfy in my favorite red flannel yard shirt.

It was indeed a good afternoon to work on the boat.


It was time to sand the 2nd layer of epoxy on the trolling motor mount, in preparation for a third coat. I learned a lesson the last time I did this. If you use this type of sanding block, that part of the sandpaper folded backward into the handle will scuff up surfaces you don't want it to.

Like this.

I was happy to find these parallelogram-shaped sanding blocks at Lowe's.  The angled sides help you avoid scratching up unwanted surfaces. Very nice for detail work.

Trolling motor mount, with its 2nd layer of epoxy sanded in preparation for the 3rd layer.

Taped off and encapsulated. 

Here's the 2nd layer of paint on the floor batten "repair," (center diagonal). This is sanded in preparation for a 3rd coat of paint.

Aa the 3rd layer of paint dried, I glued down the new battery tray with thickened epoxy. 

After the 3rd coat had dried for about an hour and a half, I painted on a thin 4th coat. I didn't sand before the 4th coat... hope I don't wind up regretting that.


"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
— 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment