Thursday, August 20, 2015

What’s in a name?



Today being an anniversary of sorts, I wanted to do something special to mark the occasion. It seemed like an appropriate time to order the transom decal for my boat. 

The boat’s name will be “Perseverance.” 

In the 3-1/2 years I’ve been building this Glen-L Utility, the project has bridged some pretty major personal events; dark and painful personal storms including divorce, heart surgery, betrayal and loss... things that at times seemed insurmountable. But, by the grace of God, I have made it through, and healed and grown along the way. 

At some point, watching this boat grow from a few pieces of wood, to a graceful framework, to a painted and righted hull, I realized that the project has been a metaphor for my own growth and healing. “Perseverance” seemed like the perfect name. 

I’ll close this post with a beautiful quote from a very eloquent friend of mine: “If the soul had a form, it would be shaped like a boat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment