Monday, August 31, 2015

Deck framing completed

I suppose this wraps up the "blocking" phase I mentioned about a month ago. The last of the blocking was to support the deck framing, (which, on this little boat, only consists of two parts: a deck beam and a strongback).

I wasn't exactly sure where or how to trim and attach the strongback. I wound up following some examples from photos I'd seen online, and I trimmed it short enough to let it mate to the back of the breasthook. It's hard to tell just yet, but that may have created an excessive downward curve. Time will tell. Once I get the bow and the remaining parts of the sheers faired in preparation for the decking, I should be able to tell if it will need a little shim on the top or not.

The deck framing is simply epoxied into place... no screws. Here's a photo of all the clamps & spreader bars involved.

Deck framing with the clamps removed.


Blocking for the strongback, on the back of the breasthook.

Blocking on the sheers, to support the deck beam.

Blocking on the back of frame #2, to support the strongback.

Notch in the deck beam for the strongback.

This part at the bow needs to be faired before the decking can be put on.

1 comment:

  1. Just completed the deck framing, and the progress is beyond satisfying! Excited for the next steps. And hey, for those in Calgary, if you're planning a deck project, consider reaching out to Deck Builders Calgary. I've heard they do excellent work, and having a reliable team can make all the difference in bringing your outdoor vision to life!

    ReplyDelete