These were small but necessary tasks. For the most part, the results aren't visibly much different from photos in my last post, but here goes...
Since the seats are made from exterior-grade plywood, (rather than marine grade), there are voids in the different layers. Several of these voids were exposed on the edges, so I had to fill them with thickened epoxy.
|Plywood void on the front seat filled with silica-thickened epoxy.|
|Same process for voids on the rear seat.|
|Shallow gap filled between the plywood hull and curved section of the sheer.|
|These screw holes were originally intended to attach supports for a sole. I decided against the sole, so these holes needed to be filled.|
|Corresponding holes on the other frame were also filled.|
I trimmed the overhanging edges of Meranti off of the front seat, and sanded them lightly. When I test fit the seat back into the boat, I changed my mind about painting the edges green. I think I'll leave them as-is. The difference in shades is not that drastic after all.
Then I mixed some more epoxy, and rolled on a thin layer to encapsulate (and stain) the Meranti top of the seat. As I'd done with the transom, I squeegied it meticulously for a smooth finish.
I used the rest of the epoxy to finally add a second layer to the remaining unpainted section of the hull. Now I can finally finish painting this part.
|After I encapsulate the bottom of the front seat, I'll be ready to install it permanently.|