Saturday, December 29, 2018

Ooops... I did it again.

Remember this mess?


(If you missed the original story, you can read about the mess here, and the fix here and here.)

Well, I did it again. This time, it was in the stem for the Zip.




I had decided to go ahead and drill for the bow eye. Since the stem is still fully exposed, it's easy to get to all the way around. I thought I might as well go ahead and drill it. I went about it a little differently than last time, drilling from the back forward, rather than the other way around.

The reason is because I had already drilled a pilot hole for attaching a chine block that I never used. The hole was in about the right position, so I thought it would be simple enough to drill it on through.

So it would seem, anyway.

The initial hole was actually great. Very close to center. I couldn't complain.




The problem came when I started widening the hole with progressively larger bits, now following the hole by drilling front-to-back. Somehow, I got my long 1/4" bit out of alignment, and wound up with this:




Fortunately, I'd "been there, done that," so the fix was pretty easy. I had a 1/4" bung cutter, and I used it to cut a few bungs from scrap mahogany.




They turned out to be the perfect size. Rather than try to measure and mix a tiny amount of Silvertip epoxy, I opted to just buy one of the two-part syringe kits of marine epoxy from Bass Pro Shops.




It's all curing up now. Hopefully there won't be any more complications when I trim the bung and continue widening the hole.





No comments:

Post a Comment